Part of getting the right hat is finding the right size and getting the right fit. In this article, we'll discuss three primary questions to ensure you get the right fit. FYI only our GIGI PIP hats come in different sizes, all other hats are one size fits all and are generally around 57-59 cm. If a hat runs abnormally larger we try our best to add that to the description.
- How are hats measured?
- How do I measure my head size?
- How do I adjust my Gigi Pip hat?
HOW ARE FEDORA HAT SIZES MEASURED?
Hats are measured by the inside circumference at the bottom of the hat's crown (the sweatband) and most often measured in centimeters. While hats may be sized according to their measurement, it is fairly common for women's hats to be sized based on average women's head sizes and then adjusted down to fit.
WHAT IS THE AVERAGE HAT SIZE FOR WOMEN?
Women's hat sizes are fairly intuitive. Since the average women's head size measures 57cm, a small to medium hat would be made to fit 57cm and then can be adjusted down to 55cm. A large hat size will coordinate with larger head sizes that measure up to 59cm, so a medium to large size hat would be made to fit a 59cm head size and then can be adjusted down to 57cm. Children ages 7 and below are typically 53cm, and those ages 7+ tend to be 55cm.
Because of this, Gigi Pip hats sizes are as followed:
Kids (53cm to 55cm)
S/M (55cm to 57cm)
M/L (57cm to 59cm)
Additional Sizing Chart (based on average women head sizes):
X Small - 54cm (21.25 Inches)
Small - 55cm (21.65 Inches)
Medium - 57cm (22.44 Inches)
Large - 59cm (23.22 Inches)
X Large - 60cm (23.62 Inches)
WHAT IS THE MOST COMMON HAT SIZE?
The most common hat size is a S/M (57cm). While this is the most common hat size, remember that properly sizing your Gigi Pip hat will ensure the best fit.
WHAT ABOUT STRAW HAT SIZES?
Our conversion chart also works with our straw hats which run in the same sizes as our felt hats.
You can use the Gigi Pip Hat Size Chart to find the right size!
HOW DO I MEASURE MY HAT SIZE?
There are two primary methods of measuring your hat size and are based on the style in which you wear your hat. You will need to take both measurements (shown below) and then use the larger of the two measurements to determine your hat size. Once you have received your hat, you can decide on the style you would like to size your hat to and adjust your hat accordingly.
TIP: If you do not have a textile measuring tape, use a string or piece of yarn to measure the distance around your head. After you have marked the yarn around your head, lay it out flat on the ground or table and measure the straightened-out piece of yarn with a measuring stick or regular measuring tape.
Method 1: The Traditional Style
This is the traditional style of wearing a hat. The front tip of the hat is low on the forehead, just above your eyebrows, causing the hat to sit nearly level with the ground. To measure your head using the traditional style method, measure the distance around your head from the center of the back of the head to the forehead just above the eyebrow as shown below.
- Use a textile measuring tape (or string) to measure the distance around your head crossing through the center part of the back of your head and the forehead just above the eyebrow. The tape should be level with the ground.
- Check the measurement of the tape wrapped around your head. Hat sizing is in cm. If you are in-between sizes, we suggest sizing up and adjusting your hat accordingly.
Method 2: The Halo Style
This is the halo style way of wearing a hat. The front of your hat is raised up and the hat sits on the back of your head. To measure your head size using the halo method, measure the distance around your head passing through the back of your head, just above your neck, and the front of you head up on your brow as shown below.
- Use a textile measuring tape to measure the distance around your head passing through the back of your head, just above the neck, and the front of your head high on the brow. The tape should be higher in front than in back.
- Check the measurement of the tape wrapped around your head. Wearing a hat Halo style is usually a smaller hat size than wearing a hat traditionally however we recommend using the larger of the two hat sizes. If you are in-between sizes, we suggest sizing up and adjusting down.
HOW DO I ADJUST MY HAT SIZE?
All Gigi Pip hats are made to adjust to the perfect fit. Before making any adjustments, check the inner band type and follow the directions below.
- My hat has draw strings- If your inner band has draw strings located behind the tag on the rear side of the hat, simply pull them tight to adjust your hat size down a size or two. Pull gently to avoid a tare.
- My hat DOES NOT have draw strings- Many types of inner bands do not allow for a draw strings such as leather, elastic or cotton with a foam lining. Hats without a draw string are adjusted by using Hat Sizing Tape (sold separately). Hat sizing tape has long been the preferred method of adjusting hats because it allows you to keep the inner band in its natural form and the foam molds comfortably to the head.
Directions to use Hat Sizing Tape: Place the foam tape on the inside of your hat, behind the sweatband, with the sticky side facing towards the hat wall. Wrap the tape completely around the hat for maximum size decrease or cut tape length in half for a more moderate decrease. Size to fit prior to removing the adhesive cover. Once the fit is correct, remove the adhesive cover, press firmly into place, and wa-lah.
For more questions about hat sizing, please contact email@example.com or just click the chat button located in the lower right hand corner of your screen.