There are multiple ways you can steam out the scrunch, the crunch or anything in between including using an industrial steamer, a handheld steamer you can get from Target or Walmart boiling a pot of water at home or even throwing it in the bathroom to steam while you shower. Here at Haven + Her, we use an industrial steamer because we have a large volume of hats to handle every day. Don't worry, no matter what steaming device you have, we are walking you through each option!
HOW TO RESHAPE A FELT HAT WITH A STEAMER
- Steam the area of your hat that needs to be reshaped
- Make sure you can feel the material softening
- Use your hands to push out the dents or straighten the brim
- Let the hat cool
Fixing your hat's shape crushed sections is the most straightforward with a steamer. Let the steam envelope the hat section by section and knead the areas into shape after the steam has made them softer and more pliable. Avoid letting the hat get too wet. If this starts to happen, let it dry out and take another pass at it.
What about fixing a hat strap or band? They can also be reshaped using a steamer. Try pulling the strap taunt while adjusting steamed sections and working your way up the strap.
HOW TO FIX A SMASHED HAT WITH A BOILING POT
If you don't have a steamer on hand, you can boil water in a tea kettle or a regular metal pot you would use for cooking. When the water boils, dump it out and hold your hat about a foot from the steam as you drain it or open the tea kettle and let the steam roll out and onto your hat.
HOW TO FIX A HAT USING A HOT SHOWER
Steam your hat by turning on the shower to the hottest setting and shut the door. Remember, you want the hat to get steamed but not wet. Hang the hat away from the water's steam on the back of the door or a hook for about 20 minutes or less and that should do the trick! This method works great for floppy hats that might have gotten wrinkles in them and is a good first step when restoring a hat after major smash damage.
HOW TO FIX A BENT HAT BRIM
To fix a bent hat brim, steam the area until the material is pliable. You can then use your hands to work the brim into the right shape. We recommend using a flat surface to guide you as you reshape the brim. Reshaping a floppy hat brim can be done the same way, just keep in mind the brim is designed to be floppy and hold less of a shape. The shower hat method tends to work well for floppy hats!
HOW TO RESHAPE A CRUSHED STRAW HAT
Straw hats or sun hats might get smashed going to or from your vacation destination. When it comes to our hats, you can decrunch both your straw and felt hats. When fixing straw hats, heat them evenly working continuously on the wire lining. Start with the brim of the hat and work your way around. Shape it up as you steam, but be sure to lay it flat using books or weight to dry.
TIPS FOR RESHAPING A FEDORA HAT
Everything from a smashed brim to a dent in the crown can cause you to need to reshape your fedora. Using steam to get things moving is a great start, but be sure to use these tips to snap your hat back into shape:
- Use both hands to guide steamed sections of the hat back where they need to be. You can use an open palm for large sections and your fingers to focus in on smaller parts.
- Be sure to check the overall shape of the fedora every few adjustments so that the general shape keeps moving in the right direction.
- The brim is one of the most classic elements of the fedora. Make sure you know the style of your brim before reshaping it so it ends up looking like new!
- Felt hats usually require just steaming the brim, but make sure it is heated evenly and work your way around the hat until it's back to its original shape.
So if you accidentally sit on your hat, don't panic! It can be fixed.